In the average home the dishwasher is one of the hardest working appliances in the home and after a while even the best dishwasher will start to show signs that it is so well used – especially when it comes to the dishwasher racks. Over time the vinyl coating on the dishwasher racks begins to chip and corrode away leaving exposed metal that rusts in the face of all that hot water and detergent. Before you throw your dishwasher racks away though there is a way you can repair them and extend their useful life, saving you more than a few dollars. Here’s how:
You will need:
Heavy-duty wire cutters
Liquid vinyl paint (preferably one designed for dishwasher use)
Vinyl tine cap kit (available at any hardware store)
1. Remove the dishwasher racks from the dishwasher and place them on a surface that is covered with newspaper or another such disposable material to avoid damaging the surface below.
2. Scrub at any rust posts (especially on the dishwasher racks tines) with steel wool. Wear gloves while you are doing this as itchy steel wool pads can really hurt your hands if they are not protected.
3. If steel wool has failed to smooth down any rough or broken tine tips clip off the stubborn one with a pair of heavy duty wire clippers and then smooth down the remainder with your steel wool.
4. Clean you dishwasher racks at this point and then either pat them dry or allow them to air dry for an hour or so before you move on to the next step.
5. Now for the magic part. Liquid vinyl paint designed especially for use on appliances can be picked up relatively inexpensively at any hardware store and even on line at stores like Amazon. Some of these liquid vinyl faints are even designed especially for dishwasher rack use. Uber Goop is a popular one and at less than ten dollars a tube a real bargain. Once your dishwasher racks are dry apply a thin coat of they liquid vinyl paint to the rusted or damaged areas or if your prefer all over the tines fore a more even look. Once again, you need to leave an hour or so after completing the painting for the dishwasher racks to dry.
6. The final part of the dishwasher rack repair process is applying the new vinyl tine caps. Before you begin take a minute to read the manufacturers instructions to make sure you will be applying the right amount of adhesive.
7. Once the new tine caps are all in place leave the dishwasher racks to dry again and then replace them inside the dishwasher once done. This may seem like a rather lengthy process but it is really very easy and given that the average replacement dishwasher rack costs $80 and up you will be saving yourself a lot of money.